Sunday, February 26, 2012

I Don't Do Windows



I've been staring at my computer for what feelings like 5 whole minutes, but what is probably only 15 seconds, and I've been trying to come up with something witty and interesting to say to you.  I've got this weird mental block today.  Maybe it's all the fumes from the cleaning products I used earlier.

There's bread in the oven, though.  That should pique your interest, right?  It sure smells like something you'd like.  


I've been day dreaming all morning about wedding things.  And my Pinterest is filling up with all manner of crazy regarding the big day (that is TBD).  I just can't help myself...  I like to nest.  Possibly why I'm all crazy about cleaning this morning...?

While Cori sleeps off her vicious virus, I'll tell you about banana bread.  I'm going against the grain here and skipping the nuts.  I completely dislike nuts in my banana bread, so you're just going to have to deal with it and add them on your own, should you make this (which I suggest, dear readers, you do).  

BUT.  I did add dark molasses.  AND a streusel filling.  I got your back and I know what kicks your heels up.  We're tight.  



I live for spotty bananas, because it means I get to make banana muffins, banana and chocolate cupcakes, banana pancakes, banana cream pie, and of course banana bread.  I know there's and whole banana-laden world out there and I've only begun to scratch the peel surface of it.  Have a banana recipe you'd like me to take for a test drive?  Let me have it!



So let me tell you here and now, how much you're going to LOVE this bread.  YOU'RE GOING TO LOVE IT SO MUCH.



It's dense, moist, tender, full of banana goodness, and is AMAZING with just a smidge of peanut butter on top.  Toast it up.  Serve it fresh.  Whatever you like.  Crazy goodness.  Oh, and did I mention I added a streusel filling?  Yeah.  Cuz I did.

BAM.



See??  Total love.  I love you.  You love this bread.  We're all winners.  


Banana-Streusel Bread


the bread:
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
2 large eggs, room temperature
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
3 very ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)
1 tablespoon dark molasses (optional)

the streusel filling:
1/4 cup dark brown sugar, lightly packed (or light, if you want a lighter flavor)
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cocoa powder
*blend all three ingredients with a fork and set aside until ready to use*

*preheat oven to 350 degrees; line a 9"x5"x3" loaf pan with parchment paper and spray with non-stick cooking spray*

In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, and spices.  Set aside. 

In the bowl of an electric mixer with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.  In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs with the vanilla.  Add the egg mixture to the butter mixture and mix until combined.  Mix in the mashed bananas and molasses - the mixture will be lumpy, and this is absolutely what you want.  Remove the bowl from the mixer and stir in the flour mixture by hand with a rubber spatula until the flour disappears.  

Pour half the batter into the prepared loaf pan, sprinkle 2/3 of the streusel filling over the batter, then top with the remaining batter and then the remaining streusel mixture.  Bake for 55 minutes (a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread should come out clean).  Run a butter knife along the edges and let cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes.  Remove from the pan and let cool on the wire rack completely.  Banana bread can be kept in plastic wrap at room temperature for up to two days.


Last week in a nutshell.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE THIS BLOG. Also, I enjoy spotty bananas too. I don't understand why people like the green ones. They don't TASTE like ANYTHING.

    That's all for now. Must go read your other posts.

    Cheers!
    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! You just made my day. :0)

    ReplyDelete