Monday, December 19, 2011

Honey, You Are My Candy Girl


There are an obscene amount of packages under my tree.  It's making me feel like a crazy elf (and a little like I went overboard... whatevs).  A generous, crazy, gift-giving elf who is hell-bent on ensuring no one is left out or off the list this year.  I'm sorry ahead of time if you get embarassed by the amount of packages I bought you (no I'm not). 



So while I prepare for this Christmas' food offerings, I thought I'd share with you some candy (via the interwebs).



This year I decided to try and make honeycomb candy for the holidays.  Let's just say you need to really pay attention to the coloration and temperature of your candy as it boils.  Let's also say you need to throw it away after you've had other people confirm it's burnt-ness. 

Good.  Now that we got that out of the way... let's make honeycomb candy!



I boiled the candy ingredients together in a soup pot. Why such a huge pot? Because when you play mad scientist later, you'll want that extra room in there. Just hear me out...


Once the mixture came to a boil, I watched my candy thermometer and waited for it to juuuust come to 250 degrees. Basically, watch for the coloration to just start to turn a light shade of amber, then remove it from the heat. I mixed in my baking soda, whisked it a bit, and then poured it on to a well oiled rimmed cookie sheet.  Let set, break into bits, and you've got candy. 


Who says magic can't happen every day?






BUT WAIT!  Why not add chocolate?!?


Why not indeed.  I got ya covered, yo.

Happy Holidays, from me to you.  Love your face(s).


Honeycomb Candy with Chocolate


1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon baking soda
8 oz dark chocolate chips
1 teaspoon vegetable shortening


*have a well-oiled rimmed cookie sheet prepared and conveniently located for when you pour the candy mixture*

1. In a stock pot over medium heat, pour in the sugar, corn syrup, and water.  Do not stir.  Heat and boil until a candy thermometer reads 250 degrees, and the candy just starts to turn from blonde to light amber.  Remove from heat and immediately whisk in the baking soda.  The mixture will more than triple in size.  Immediately pour it onto the rimmed cookie sheet and let cool completely.  Once cooled, crack into shards.

2. In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the chocolate chips and the shortening, and microwave on high for 45 seconds.  Stir with a spoon until smooth.  Dip the shards of candy into the chocolate glaze, and let set on the matte side of tin foil until hard.  Eat for breakfast Give to family and friends for the holidays.



2 comments:

  1. My girlfriend introduced me to Crunchies from her time spent in New Zealand. It is now a staple in our stockings for Christmas. But now I totally have access to my version whenever I want. Incredibly addictive!! Thanks for reading, and Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete