Monday, August 1, 2011

Gingers Welcome



Sometimes I get stressed out.

Like...  over-the-top, can't-focus-on-anything-but-the-source, watch-out-for-me STRESSED.

Intense.





There were definitely a few times during the course of my dinner party planning when I wanted to call it quits, tear down the lights, and turn off the stove.

Okay... maybe not tear down the lights.  They were pretty fantastic.  Leave those up.




But it turned out okay.  And it's not because of this ginger ale recipe.

I mean... this is damn good.  I'll say it right now.  This ginger ale could cure half your ailments.  HALF.  Aspirin can't claim that.  (Wow... just got spell-checked on my Aspirin spelling.  There are more i's in it than you think)




But seriously...  my friends are the love of my life (besides that little lady who always sits to my left).  Not to get uber mushy, but their faces and hang-time melted my stress away.  Things were easy, funny, and sparkling.




... much like this ginger ale.  Of which I still have lots.  And will gladly be sipping it and reminiscing over last night's soiree.



This is real life.  And this life is bubbly.


Homemade Ginger Ale
Plucked from the site of Joy the Baker


The Ginger Syrup

3 cups ginger root, washed and roughly chopped
3 1/2 cups sugar
8 1/2 cups water


1. Place the ginger in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped.

2. Place ginger, sugar and water in a large stock pot over high heat.  Bring to a rolling boil, then kick the heat down to low to simmer for 1 1/2 - 2 hours.  The liquid needs to be reduced by half, and will be glossy on the surface.

3. Remove syrup from the heat and strain twice through a fine mesh sieve (or cheesecloth) into a large bowl.  Allow the syrup to cool for twenty minutes and then pour through a funnel into a liter-sized bottle.  You may need two bottles... as I did.  Store in the fridge until completely cooled.  Now you're ready to make ginger ale!


The Ginger Ale

Ice
Lime Wedges
Club Soda
Bitters
Stripy Straws

1. Get a glass.

2. Put ice in that glass.

3. Squeeze a lime over the ice and put into glass.

4. Pour syrup 1/3 the way up the glass.

5. Fill the rest of the glass with club soda.

6. Add a dash o' Bitters.

7. Stir it up with stripy straw.

8. Drink it down.

9. Mmmmmmmmm.


2 comments:

  1. i just want you to know that i have purchased ginger root and bitters.. Now, to track down something to strain with.. Thanks, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do it! You get that mesh strainer at Target and you make that ginger ale for real! I love this!

    ReplyDelete